Mick Pinkney, Champion Boxer

Boxing Board Await Pinkney Inquest

Telegraph & Argus, February 3, 1972

THE BRITISH Boxing Board of Control will await the outcome of the post mortem and inquest on 22 year old lightweight Mick Pinkney, of Leeds, who died after collapsing in the ring in a professional contest at the Midland Hotel, Bradford, last night.

Pinkney, a former youth international and ABA champion, was having his third professional fight and collapsed during the fifth round of a six rounds bout against Jim Moore, of Bradford. Before Pinkney was given a professional licence he underwent tests for a heart murmur.

Ray Clarke, secretary of the British Boxing Board of Control, said: “In accordance with our regulations, Pinkney underwent a medical examination before we granted him a licence.

Passed as fit

He was found to have a cystolic heart condition and was sent to a specialist at Leeds. The specialist report passed Pinkney as fit to box and he was granted a professional licence. He had about 60 contests as an amateur.

“We shall hold an inquiry when we have received a report on the post mortem and the inquest, as well as reports from our area representatives and the medical officer at the tournament.

“When we have everything to hand we will hold the inquiry”. If there is anything we did not do we shall know about it. If there us anything that we should do in the future we will do it”

Third Pro. Fight

Pinkney made his professional debut at the first Bradford promotion at the Midland Hotel, on December 8th. Last night’s contest was his third. It was fixed only on the eve of the show and Pinkney conceded 6lbs – 9 stones and 12lbs against 10stones and four pounds – to the hard punching Bradford based Dominican who earlier this season put a sparring partner out of action with two broken ribs.

Moore caught Pinkney with several swinging right handers during the fourth round but Pinkney hit back furiously – so furiously, in fact that the Bradford man was floored for counts of eight and nine.

With Moore on the attack, Pinkney suddenly lurched forward into a neutral corner and rolled over. My immediate reaction was that it was sheer exhaustion, for no knock out punch was struck.

Moore pulled back hesitatingly as Pinkney fell forward “I hardly tapped him.” He said afterwards.

Two doctors hurridley climbed into the ring and Pinkney was carried out on a stretcher.

His death was announced from the ring at the conclusion of the boxing and a collection for his dependants raised £420.

Match maker Tommy Miller said: “I’m shattered.” But he plans to organise another show in Bradford and give the proceeds to Pinkneys dependents.

An inquest will open tomorrow.